Saturday, September 11, 2010

C O O K I E S & I C E C R E A M



Today I interviewed the general manager of a place in downtown Hattiesburg called: Bianchi's Pizzeria. Originally, I was supposed to be doing a story on a lot of different downtown eateries. But, after going to Bianchi's I realized that pizza just needed way more room to talk.

I called and asked to interview someone (over the phone) about the story and, while talking to him, he asked if I had ever been there. I hadn't, he then proceeded to convince me to come in and S E E the place before I did the story. I could tell, just by the way he was talking and his excitement, that I should.



I got there feeling nervous and unsure of what to do. I was supposed to have a photographer with me but things fell through so I was alone, at night, while the whole world was listening to god speak over Hattiesburg about Seymour and the footballers.

My awkwardness didn't stop Charles from telling me all he could about Bianchi's. He showed me the kitchen, the photos of the family that owned the restaurant. All their freshly-made ingredients and dishes, even how they made their cookies and ice cream.

I was especially impressed by their ice cream and cookies, so I wanted to try some. They use the recipe their grandmother used and her cookie iron! So, anyways, I asked and they G A V E me some. G A V E. I was like, really? (Perks?) And C O K E. It was intense.

I'm really happy things happened this way. I'm excited to finish this story and start my series on downtown eateries. These places have character, they care about their patrons--I don't know if people just aren't aware of that, or they don't care. But, I'm going to tell people. And, if I need to, I'll make them care.



"We want to stay here in downtown Hattiesburg, [because] we want to create jobs to reinvigorate Hattiesburg, and Mississippi... We want to give people a unique pizza experience," Charles general manager of Bianchi's Pizzeria.

0 comments: