Friday, September 3, 2010

N O O N E C A N H E A R M E

My name is Ashlyn Ervin and I'm a Freshen Creative Writing major. I've tried several times to find or obtain an adviser and I just can't seem to do that. I've been to the English department, asked the student relations office, my SOAR says I'm "unassigned" and people have said that I won't have one for a while. I'm not sure what normal protocol is, but I've been having a lot of trouble and no one to talk to and my year has gotten off to a pretty terrible start.

I am in BIO 110. I'm not good in math or science. I talked to the professor (who is actually not who even teaches my class) and they said to contact my adviser because I belonged in a non-science major lab and lecture. I went to the English department and they said to tell the professor. I emailed and called the professor back and got no reply other than I needed to speak to an adviser (which I was told I could not have).

The bad thing about biology was that my labs actually didn't start until the last week that classes could drop and only met once a week. I literally found out I was in the wrong class for me and did everything I knew to do that day. Nothing happened. I'm in a lab and biology class that is over my head.

I had to drop my Spanish class through the student relations office. I'm only at USM because of loans and one of the stipulations (I believe) is that I have to be full-time. I have five classes as of now. One is a lab. I don't know how to calculate how many "hours" that is.

I'm in Math 99. I'm terrible in Math. The reason I'm terrible in math is because my first year of Algebra was taught on a computer program with a facilitator. I am now being taught (and required to take) math on a computer program with facilitator. I know how I learn math. This isn't it. I'd like to take math over the summer perhaps where I can only focus on it and do my best. I'd like to pass math, so far I am not. I don't even understand the schedule of the class, the grading, anything. And I don't have anyone to help me with that.

I am the first person in my family to go to college. I'm paying completely in loans and my family isn't helping me in any way.The two classes I like and understand are History and English. History, however, is a very fast paced and involved class. Dr. Weist has informed us that his tests are also extremely hard. I'll also have to work very hard in this class.

English Comp 101 is the only class I feel confident in. It is my major. It's why I am here. It's what I'm paying money at this institution for. My money. My debt is going towards these classes. Three of which I don't think I should be in. I'm really concerned. I don't feel there's anyone for me to talk to. SOAR is mind boggling to even attempt to use to my advantage in any way other than to check my schedule. I can't drop or add classes because I'm in Math 99. I don't know why.

I feel like I'm paying to fail right now. The books I bought I don't use (mostly), some of my teachers barely teach. I knew nothing about college and came here with the highest expectations. I'm sorry to come to you because you aren't my adviser, but I need someone to advise me. Why am I here? What should I do? How do I do it?

Thank you for your time and I apologize if I've inconvenienced you in any way,
Ashlyn

0 comments: