Monday, January 11, 2010

Buffy, Algebra, Vampires, and Equations


So: Bubbie hates algebra. Alot.
2x+5 = 3x+4
2x+5 = 3x+4
-4 -4
2x+1=3x
-2x -2x
1=x

Here's the thing about algebra:
It does have a purpose. It does solve some twisted, hellish purpose.
just to see if she can. Algebra is hard, there's no need for it--
they just want to see if we're strong enough to kill a vampire.
But, I don't care about killing vampires--or x-variables--I care about words.
I'm the writer--the one girl in all the world with the strength and power
to defend against the hell mouth, and all the boring poems and demons
that come out of it. Equations are, like on Buffy, from another
Hellmouth entirely--I'm Sunnydale, metaphors and research papers--
and algebra is Cleveland, where I send the second slayer,
the one that's not really me--Faith--
to do her best.

0 comments: