Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Granny's Pink Suit


From my G R A N N Y D A:

Diane Troxler-Wright


After your pawpaw Carel and I were in Germany a few months, he found out that he was being transferred back to the States. I left on a flight before he was able to leave. When I got to New York, the airlines were on strike and I could not get a connecting flight to New Orleans. I panicked...I was only 19 years old and had N E V E R been that much alone before. So, I called Paw crying and her calmed me down. He told me to go to the train station and get a train to Louisiana. Well, I did and because of the strike...there were N O seats on A N Y train leaving New York for at least a week. I called Paw again...cryingand he calmed me down again and told me to go to the bus station and try there. I did and *bingo* I was able to get on a bus within the hour. Now remember...I was alone in New York city, scared senseless and wearing a P I N K S U I T! Back in thouse days (the late 60's) no one would dream of flying in the casual attire that is worn today. Well, I got on the bus...P I N K S U I T and all...scared silly and just wanting to see Mony and Paw. It took 4 1/2 days to get to Louisiana by bus...all the while in the same P I N K S U I T...stinky, Coke stains, food stains...are you getting the picture? When I finally made it home, Mony asked, "Does this have to go to the cleaners or can it be washed in the washing machine?" I looked at her and said, "B U R N I T." And I have N E V E R worn pink again.

0 comments: