Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I R L: I N R E A L L I F E

  • IRL: you cannot pick and choose days to have an oppinion, a firm belief, a "rule"
  • IRL: you cannot allow your personal life to affect your work place actions
  • IRL: you cannot take the form of the peers around you, especially if you work in a high school
  • IRL: you can't possibly gossip and expect it not to be told, or told that you told
  • IRL: teachers should not be the main source of gossip
  • IRL: it is never appropriate to take your frustrations out on the weak (or weaker than you)
  • IRL: it is never appropriate to flaunt your power when you feel week
  • IRL: middle-aged middle-class white women are to be feared
-------------------------------------------
If someone struggles with these things, finds it hard to understand them or live by them--clearly they are not a strong-minded mature human being. So, with that in mind, should a person like this be say...a high school teacher? No. No amount of ability or talent can make someone capable. There are things beyond a lesson plan that go into being a teacher. That is why I stop and think if teaching is right for me. IRL, if I were a teacher, I would never be any of those things. I have had buckets of teacher-fails and I know how bad it sucks to be in that desk trying not to cry. I know how much it hurts to be yelled at for no reason. If I were a teacher, I think I would understand.
  • And I still believe that everything happens for a reason. I think I needed the good teachers to show me what to do, and the bad to show me what not to. I fully understand now.
  • Now begins my evaluation of my capability. Now, my judging has become useful.

0 comments: